TEMPO.CO, Jakarta – Minister of Youth and Sports Dito Ariotedjo said that he will coordinate with the Finance Ministry to discuss the additional funding of the U-17 World Cup 2023. The minister mentioned that he has reported this matter to President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo.
Dito revealed that half of the funding for the U-17 World Cup 2023 will be obtained from the remaining funds of the canceled U-20 World Cup 2023. Meanwhile, the deficit will be covered by the funding resulting from the coordination with the Finance Ministry. The coordination is part of an ongoing effort to prevent another ANOC World Beach Games at the government’s hands.
“The funding will be covered with the joint effort of the Sports Ministry and the Finance Ministry,” said Dito when met at the ministry office on Monday, July 31, 2023.
Previously, Dito reported that the remaining funds for U-20 World Cup amounted to Rp243 billion. The ministry initially prepared Rp500 billion to hold the event and even utilized some of the funds for the World Cup preparation, including revamping six stadiums.
However, the U-20 World Cup ended up being annulled due to the refusal to host Israel’s national team by Bali Governor I Wayan Koster and Central Java Governor Ganjar Pranowo. FIFA saw the rejection as a form of government intervention toward the U-20 World Cup and proceeded to strip Indonesia’s hosting rights and gave it to Argentina. After the FIFA Council meeting in Zurich on Friday, June 23, 2023, FIFA gave Indonesia another chance to host its event with the U-17 World Cup 2023.
Minister Dito promised that he has strengthened communication with the Finance Ministry and ensured there are no hindrances to the U-17 World Cup 2023 funding.
RANDY FAUZI FEBRIANSYAH
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo in Google News
Quoted From Many Source